This recipe is a clone of the German Club-Mate soda. Compared to the original, this soda tastes sweeter and has a stronger yerba mate flavour.
- Yerba Mate (30g)
- Hot water (1L)
- Citric Acid (~2g, or 1/2 tsp)
- Sugar-free sweetner, use amount equivalent to 3 and 1/2 tbsp of sugar.
- I used 1tbsp of Steviana brand sweetner, which had acesulfame and sorbitol in addition to stevia, which negated the bitterness and aftertaste of pure stevia.
- Prepare 1L hot water at 80C (not higher, as not to burn the yerba).
- Let the yerba mate leaves steep in the 80C hot water for 10 minutes.
- Strain away the mate leaves, and mix in the citric acid and sweetner.
- Let it cool.
This is the mate base, dilute 1:1 with sparkling water. Or use regular water and carbonate using a soda machine.
The recipe is inspired by the following sources: