This is a list of software which improved the way I use my computer.
I use Borg which allows me to efficiently backup my files, it supports encryption and deduplication of files, allowing me to use a fraction of space compared to a traditional method.
Text editing & document processing
I use neovim because it is fast, minimal and just works. Editors like VS Code and Atom sucks, a text editor shouldn’t be using 500-700MB of RAM to open a small text file.
I usually write my notes and reports in Markdown, which is then converted to PDF (through LaTeX) with pandoc. LaTeX is used when I need more control over the document.
Linux/Unix utilities and programs
- maim: a simple command-line based screenshot program.
- zsh/Oh My Zsh: my favourite shell environment setup.
- sxiv: a perfect, minimal image viewer.
- zathura: a light PDF viewer which uses Vi keyboard shortcuts.
- Claws Mail: a mail client which is lightweight and delightful to use.
- My window manager is dwm, modified to support volume, brightness, display and
spt) support, and theme colour changed. I like the way dwm arranges windows (compared to i3wm).
- My terminal emulator is st, which seems to just work well.
Would like to comment on the blog post? Feel free to start a discussion on my public general mailing list.